Ely Watercolor Club, Ely Public Library, Donald G. Gardner Humanities Trust, writers, crafters, photographers share time at Ely Arts & Heritage Center
Visual arts is the focus of Ely Greenstone Public Art and in 2014 it is revving up its Juried Art Show and Sale with a Saturday, July 5 Preview Gala opening at Miners Dry House in Ely Arts & Heritage Center.
The Show and Sale continues from Sunday July 6 through Sunday, July 13 from 1-4 daily at 105 Miners Lake Landing Road, Ely.
Recognizing the 25th anniversary of Donald G. Gardner Humanities Trust and the new home planned for the Ely Public Library, Ely Greenstone announces that this year Library Select designations will be part of the event.
Members of the Library Board will assist in jurying the show which is in its ninth year. They will then select 10-12 artworks which they deem worthy of inclusion in the new library.
The connection is that an art collector, Donald G. Gardner, who had a summer home in the Ely area, donated an Impressionist painting to the Ely Public Library and the City of Ely. Its eventual sale for $510,000 funded the Donald G. Gardner Humanities Trust in his name. This summer events will be held in early August to commemorate its beginning 25 years ago.
And since collectors often find themselves with more art than wall space, Greenstone will offer the opportunity for a donor to choose one of the Library Select artworks for the new library building. They will receive a 15 percent discount off the price of the art, thereby reducing the commission which Ely Greenstone would normally receive. The artists will receive their full 70 percent commission of the original price.
Tickets to the Gala evening, 7-9 p.m., are $30 and offer samples from Ely area restaurants and wine.
The afternoon events are free to one and all. Everyone is invited to vote for the People’s Choice Award. The winner is selected from all votes cast during the eight days and the winner receives $150 and a certificate.
But that’s not all that is in store this year!
The Shaft House at 401 North Pioneer Road will be open every Tuesday and Friday afternoon from Memorial Day through Labor Day to share Ely’s rich mining history at the historic Pioneer Mine complex.
And there’s a busy summer ahead for the arts community! Several new events are planned and some favorites are being returned.
- Saturday, May 17, 2014 – Ely Greenstone Art & Flea Market, 9-4 p.m.
- Sunday, June 8 – Author, Author! Meet the authors of regional books, 1-4 p.m.
- June 16-18 – Children’s Art Camp every morning.
- Saturday, June 21 – Christmas in June Arts & Crafts Show on Summer Solstice, 9-4 p.m.
- July 5-13 – Ely Greenstone Juried Art Show & Sale.
- July 17-19 Ely Watercolor Club Show.
- Saturday, July 26 – Ely Area Artists Fine Arts Fair.
- August 2 – Donald G Gardner Humanities Trust Celebrates 25 Years.
- August 8-9 – Ely Greenstone’s Watercolor Class with Holly Rom
- Saturday, August 16 – CAPTURED by Ely Lenses photography show, 9-4 p.m.
- August 22-23 – Ely Greenstone’s Stone Carving Class with Mike Sinesio
- Saturday, September 13 – Ely Greenstone Adult Day Camp
There is still room for teachers and ideas for the Children’s and Adult Day Camps. If you want to help out, send in your thoughts to us.
And, if you are an artist who has been thinking about teaching a class, let the group know when you are available and what you want to teach. Request information on these events by contacting us.