Ely Greenstone Public Art is a non-profit arts organization in the Ely, Minnesota area, whose goal is the enhancement of life through art and to recognize the rich heritage of the area.
Art Contest Announcement
Can you help the non-profit Ely Greenstone Public Art with its work for the Ely Arts & Heritage Center?
You just might win one of the $200 prizes being offered.
Whether you win or not, you’ll have a “do good” feeling for donating your art piece for this good cause!
Please send in your pre-application by May 17 even if your art is not finished yet.
The application is below. If you need us to mail one to you, let us know.
Thanks! We appreciate your continued support.
HERE THE INFO AGAIN:
Home! This is where we live, work and flourish.
What is Home to you? Your pet? Your family? Your favorite spot on the lake?
What does Home mean to you? The birds soaring above or the animals large and small scurrying across the forest floor?
Can you build an homage to Home as a sculpture or ceramic piece? Perhaps you create with cloth or can paint your soul’s concept of Home.
Is there a photograph you have taken which brings you Home and invites others to see your vision?
We invite you to share that vision exemplified in your art with visitors to Ely this summer.
That vision will help the community as well with programs at the non-profit Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Managed by Ely Greenstone Public Art, the events at the Pioneer Mine introduce several thousand people each year to Ely’s rich history and its talented citizenry.
Please help us make this happen. Click to download the application PDF.
Sixth graders use their imaginations to create in clay
Ely Greenstone Public Art sponsored a 2016 art project for Ely’s sixth grade classes, making pinch pots of clay. Students used their imagination to glaze their pieces which were then fired in a kiln under the direction of Claire Taylor and Maryann Pinckney, volunteering as instructors for Greenstone.
The art class was originally designed for Megan Anderson’s class and she stopped by to see the results.
Among the other students taking part, seen left, were Annikka Mattson, Kellen Thomas and Harry Simons. Photos by Claire Taylor
- Greenstone volunteers will work with sixth grade students in an Ely classroom, teaching the fundamentals of Pinch Pots from clay after the first of the year. Ely Greenstone memberships are available and donations are always welcomed.
- Our latest project is creating and managing the Ely Art & Heritage Center in the historic Pioneer Mine buildings. We have held our Juried Art Show and Sale there since 2007 and are planning more events to come! Please view our schedule below.
- The Shaft House at 401 North Pioneer Road (across from Grand Ely Lodge) will be open every Tuesday ( 2-5) and Friday afternoon (3-6) from Memorial Day through Labor Day to share Ely’s rich mining history at the historic Pioneer Mine complex.
- June 13-15 – Children’s Art Camp at Miners Dry House in Ely Arts & Heritage Center.
- Saturday, July 9 • 7-9 Annual ARTS GALA – Wine, music, food samples – $30 per person. No children please. Call 218-235-1721 to reserve your tickets.
- July 10-18 – Ely Greenstone Juried Art Show & Sale at at Miners Dry House in Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Artists: download an application here.
- July 20-23 – Ely Watercolor Club Show at Miners Dry House in Ely Arts & Heritage Center
- August TBA Friday evening and all day Saturday – Holly Rom Watercolor Workshop. Download application here.
- Saturday, October 8 • 10-3 PM – Fall Fun Fair – Old Fashioned Family Fun Fair at the Miners Dry House / Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Display your wares $20 per table
- Saturday, Nov. 26 • 10-4 PM – Holiday Fantasy Arts & Crafts Fair at Miners Dry House / Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Display your wares – (table provided) Space w/2 chairs • Display units extra. Download application here.
ALSO, if you have been thinking about teaching a class, let us know when you are available and what you want to teach.
Membership and Fund Drive going on now! See our Facebook page for details.
Ongoing – Honoring Ely’s Mining History – Miners Memorial Sculpture has raised over $7,000 in donations so far. The Shaft House at 401 North Pioneer Road is open during the summer on Tuesdays from 2-5 and Fridays from 3-6 p.m. More information on the Miners Memorial and how you can donate here. Miners Memorial brochure
Greenstone has a membership category and a hard-working board. We treasure the continued support of the community!
BECOME A MEMBER and get $5 off any program!
Individual $25, Family $35, Contributing $100.
401 North Pioneer Road, Ely MN 55731 • 218-235-1721
If you are interested in teaching an art class or volunteering for any of our classes or events, please contact us.
Located in Ely, Minnesota, with the beauty of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) adjacent, Ely Greenstone Public Art (a 501 c3 non-profit) promotes an arts community with murals to view and original fine art for sale.