Ely Greenstone’s “Home” auction for June 25, 6 p.m.
Area artists responded generously to the call for Home-themed art donations for the Ely Greenstone Public Art Auction June 25.
A variety of works were turned in as the committee prepares first for on-line pre-bidding followed by an auction and sale at 6 p.m., Saturday, June 25 at the Pioneer Mine – Miners Dry House in the Ely Arts & Heritage Center.
The California judge for the event selected the following to each receive the $200 prize offered: Home (4) a watercolor painting by Nancy Ensley; photograph: Minnesota Morning by Jim Wilcox; Two Pheasants in stained glass by Lynne Hill; a sculpture in wood by Cecilia Rolando.
Honorable mentions went to: Claire Taylor for Foss Lake Fire and Margaret Renner for Shagawa Lake Sunset.
Sixth graders use their imaginations to create in clay
Ely Greenstone Public Art sponsored a 2016 art project for Ely’s sixth grade classes, making pinch pots of clay. Students used their imagination to glaze their pieces which were then fired in a kiln under the direction of Claire Taylor and Maryann Pinckney, volunteering as instructors for Greenstone.
The art class was originally designed for Megan Anderson’s class and she stopped by to see the results.
Among the other students taking part, seen left, were Annikka Mattson, Kellen Thomas and Harry Simons. Photos by Claire Taylor
- Our latest project is creating and managing the Ely Art & Heritage Center in the historic Pioneer Mine buildings. We have held our Juried Art Show and Sale there since 2007 and are planning more events to come! Please view our schedule below.
- The Shaft House at 401 North Pioneer Road (across from Grand Ely Lodge) will be open every Tuesday ( 2-5) and Friday afternoon (3-6) from Memorial Day through Labor Day to share Ely’s rich mining history at the historic Pioneer Mine complex.
- June 13-15 – Children’s Art Camp at Miners Dry House in Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Now filled up!
- Saturday, July 9 • 7-9 Annual ARTS GALA – Wine, music, food samples – $30 per person. No children please. Call 218-235-1721 to reserve your tickets.
- July 10-16 – Ely Greenstone Juried Art Show & Sale at at Miners Dry House in Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Application has wrong Pick Up date. Should be Saturday, July 16, 3-4 PM. Artists: download an application here.
- July 20-23 – Ely Watercolor Club Show at Miners Dry House in Ely Arts & Heritage Center
- August 13 all day Saturday, 10-4 – Holly Rom Watercolor and Collage Workshop.
- Saturday, October 8 • 10-3 PM – Fall Fun Fair – Old Fashioned Family Fun Fair at the Miners Dry House / Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Display your wares $20 per table
- Saturday, Nov. 26 • 10-4 PM – Holiday Fantasy Arts & Crafts Fair at Miners Dry House / Ely Arts & Heritage Center. Display your wares – (table provided) Space w/2 chairs • Display units extra. Download application here.\
- Let us know if you want to help out. Send in your thoughts!
ALSO, if you have been thinking about teaching a class, let us know when you are available and what you want to teach.
Membership and Fund Drive going on now! See our Facebook page for details.
Ongoing – Honoring Ely’s Mining History – Miners Memorial Sculpture has raised over $7,000 in donations so far. The Shaft House at 401 North Pioneer Road is open during the summer on Tuesdays from 2-5 and Fridays from 3-6 p.m. More information on the Miners Memorial and how you can donate here. Miners Memorial brochure
Greenstone has a membership category and a hard-working board. We treasure the continued support of the community!
BECOME A MEMBER and get $5 off any program!
Individual $25, Family $35, Contributing $100.
401 North Pioneer Road, Ely MN 55731 • 218-235-1721
If you are interested in teaching an art class or volunteering for any of our classes or events, please contact us.
Located in Ely, Minnesota, with the beauty of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) adjacent, Ely Greenstone Public Art (a 501 c3 non-profit) promotes an arts community with murals to view and original fine art for sale.